You may be wondering, “What is holistic pediatrics all about, and is it for MY child?”
As a busy parent myself, I know you probably don’t have a ton of extra reading time, so here’s the nutshell version of who I am and what I do:
Me summarized: …(For a more flowery bio you can read more here.)
- I am a holistic pediatrics practitioner, licensed in Chinese medicine with the California Acupuncture Board and the NCCAOM (National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.)
- I am an acupuncturist, but that doesn’t mean I plan to stick your kid with needles. (Let’s face it, most of them don’t love the idea… see below for what I do do with kids.)
- I work with adults as well as kids, but grown-ups get acupuncture.
My holistic pediatrics practice ranges from well visits for babies to stress management sessions for busy teens. I see everything from the common cold and nagging coughs to management of chronic conditions such as eczema and autism spectrum disorders. The families that are drawn to my practice generally are looking for something different than your standard in-and-out doctor’s office visits. I take the time to get to know you, your child, and your family. Our treatment plans are based on what will work best for your child, address the root of the issue as well as the symptoms, and resonate with you, the parent.
What I do for kids:
- Holistic pediatrics means I will apply the knowledge and wisdom from Chinese, holistic, and conventional medicines balanced with the preferences of your family to come up with the best treatment for your child.
- The tools I use the most are nutritional counseling, Chinese herbs, homeopathy, supplements, flower essences, shonishin (Japanese needle-less technique akin to acupuncture), Tui-na (Chinese therapeutic massage), and my stethoscope and otoscope.
- Like your pediatrician, I can do your child’s wellness visits where I will weigh, measure, and examine your child. We will discuss any upcoming milestones or concerns. You can see me more or less often than that based on your child’s needs.
- Unlike most pediatricians, I will spend lots of time talking to you and answering all of your questions. Our first visit is one hour, and after that I am available to answer most questions via email. Follow-up visits are a typically a half hour.
- Colds and flu, cough, sniffles and sore throats
- Belly aches from colic, constipation, diarrhea
- Food sensitivity and nutritional concerns
- Eczema, acne, and other skin conditions
- Attention, social, and cognitive disorders
- Insomnia and related sleep issues, bedwetting
- Ear aches/infections
- Teething pain
- Asthma and allergies
- Weakened immune system
- Headaches and migraines
What I’m not:
- I am not a physician.
- I do not administer vaccines, antibiotics or prescription medications.
- I do not have hospital privileges or address acute emergency issues (such as a broken arm). For these, I suggest that you have at least a basic relationship with a pediatrician and know where your nearest urgent care facility is located. If you don’t have a pediatrician, I can help you find one that is a good match.
Make an holistic pediatrics appointment today and get your child on the road to vibrant health.
Can’t Get to West LA? Learn about my distance consultations here.